While there has been a castle at Glenarm since the 13th century, very little actually remains of the older buildings. The current structure here is a baronial manor house. Most of the building dates from the 17th century and was built by Sir Randal MacDonnell, 1st Earl of Antrim. It is currently occupied by by the 9th Earl and his family.
From the Glenarm castle site are the following highlights:
In the 13th century, the lands were aqcuired from Hugh de Lacy and a castle was built in the center of the village. The old village courthouse still has a some of the original castle walls. The castle was captured by the O'Donnells in the 15th century, who held the castle throughout the 16th century.
The current castle site was built in the 17th century and while the core of the building dates from this time, all the architectural details are new. This castle was burnt in 1642, but restored. The family moved moved back to the site in 1750 and turned the ruin into a palladian mansion house.
By the 20th century, the rebuilding had continued, but the house was severely damaged by fire in 1929 by fire Another fire in 1965 demolished the servants sing of the house - except the kitchen, which was originally added in the 17th century and used since..
lost in ireland 2005 travelogue and photos © rfingerson