getting on TOH
old house worries
Installing a Tin Ceiling
Tin ceilings are normally shipped as field panels (usually several squares of the pattern), edge tiles, and mouldings.
- Check and double check chalklines. Once nailed, tin panels cannot be removed without damage.
- Install from the far corner so seams face away from the main entrance.
- Lay in full courses.
- Install cut panels first to hide any imperfectly cut edges.
- Align field panels so nailing buttons are exactly lines up
- Work with at least one other person
- When installing, mail all buttons on overlapping edges, then a few in the middle. Nail all buttons when the panels are up.
- If dented, repair with body filler (bondo) and carve to match.
- Caulk and paint.
- Prime with oil-based paint only. Use metallic paint to mimic bare metal, which is hard to maintain.
- Prime the back of panels as well, to prevent corrosion.
- Paint with a 3/8" nap roller.
AA Abingdon Affiliates
Chelsea Decorative Metal
W.F. Norman Co.
Send me a comment or question
All content ©1998-2009 R. Fingerson